Skip to main content

Midweek check-in and David Walliams



Good morning, Year 6!

First, and most importantly, we miss you! We hope you are all staying safe and well with your families, and if you are going outside for your daily exercise, you are following the government's instructions to keep yourselves safe. (Please also follow all previous advice about washing your hands more often for at least 20 seconds and avoiding touching your face.) Remember that this is to keep us all safe.

It's been really lovely to catch-up with some of you by phone over the past few days. We will try to call you all at least once a week from now onwards.

If someone from Cabot hasn't called you yet, we aim to do so by the end of the week. If you haven't had a phone call from us by Friday afternoon, please call school and leave a message to tell us your phone number! 

If you've run out of things to do, or want a break from what you have to do, then here are some (optional) midweek suggestions:




  • Collect the ages of everyone in your house (ask your parents politely - they might not want to tell you, in which case, just collect the ages of the children in your house). Using any operations, how many different totals can you make (you don't have to use all the numbers)? What's the smallest number you can make? The largest? Can you make every number between 0 and 100? (Use BIDMAS/BODMAS to help you.)

          For example, the ages in my cousin's house are: 3, 8, 15, 40 and 45.

          8 - 3 - (45 - 40) = 0  because 8 - 3 = 5   and  45 - 40 = 5  and  5 - 5 = 0

          (15 ÷ 3) ÷ (45 - 40) = 1  because 15 ÷ 3 = 5   and  45 - 40 = 5   and 5 ÷  5  =  1

          45 - 40 - 3 = 2

           and so on...


  • Try a geometric art project: fill a piece of paper with overlapping shapes. Colour it so each overlapping section is a different colour to the ones it shares an edge with, like in the example below:



  • Have an indoor scavenger hunt with your siblings! Split into teams. Who can solve these riddles the fastest, and find the objects which they describe? You could also have a rule that no one has won until each team has drawn a picture of each object, or taken a photo of them (if you have more than one phone or camera free). Can you make your own scavenger hunt? 


1. I have four legs, but I don't have feet.
    I come in handy when it's time to eat.

2. My job is to put an end to sleep,
    Which I do with music, a buzz, or a beep.

3.  I can take you to places you've never seen,
     But first type your password in on my screen.

4.  I'm loaded and unloaded, but I'm not a truck.
     Having a helper like me is a great piece of luck.

5.  I rain on you when you need a scrub.
     I'm very much like my friend the tub.

6.  I make it possible to have fresh food.
     Everyone agrees I'm one cool dude.

7.  I'm hungry! I'm hungry! Please feed me a slice. 
     I'll spit it back out all brown and nice.

8.  I'm not a selfie, but I do show faces. 
     Find me in bathrooms and a few other places.

9.  I have hands but no arms and also a face.
     And my hands always move at the same steady pace.

10.  The more I dry, the wetter I get.
       A little one can be used for soaking up sweat.

(With thanks to thespruce.com for the clues!)


Try to keep getting your daily exercise (here are some photos from some recent walks that Ms Tupman has been on - whilst remaining at least 2 metres from anyone she passed), and stick to a regular routine. We know it can be very tempting to spend the day in your pyjamas, sleeping until late, but if you get into this habit, it will be really difficult for you to get back into a good routine when school starts again.

Take care of yourselves and your families, and we'll speak to you soon!

Ms Tupman and Mr Town









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Term 6 - Language Skills

Year 6 have been practising their -ant, -ance, -ancy and -ent, -ence and -ency spellings recently. One fun way we found to practise was by playing a matching game. Children had to turn over a word card and a definition card and see if they matched. If they did, the children had to try to spell the word without looking at the card. If they were correct, they kept the pair of cards. The winner was the player with the most pairs!

Term 6 - Writing

 In literacy lessons, we have been learning about part of S. F. Said's book, 'Phoenix'. We read an edited version of the first chapter, and over the next few weeks, created our own action stories based on that.

Term 5 - More Maths

 We used the double-sided counters to explore the game of Nim-7 . We enjoyed working out if there was a way of always winning, whether you were Player 1 or Player 2.  Once we'd explored that, we started asking ourselves other questions: "What would happen if we had an even number of counters?" "What if you could take more counters at a time?" "What if you used the same rules, but played with more people?" Each group picked a question to investigate further, and started to think about how to record what they had found out. Year 6 worked well in partnership with each other and really thought deeply about the maths behind the investigation.